Monday, February 10, 2014

Another Dose of Vincristine & A Surprising Fact...

This is a photo of a Vinca plant from my yard last May.  I plant them every year.
Surprisingly, the chemotherapy drug, Vincristine, that Audrey received on Thursday, is derived from this plant!  I will never look at this plant in the same way ever again.  According to what I read, 86 alkaloids are extracted from plants in the Vinca genus group.  This drug is used to treat some leukemias, lymphomas, and childhood cancers as well as several other types of cancerous and non-cancerous conditions.
 
Thursday, February 6, 2014
 
Another trip to the Vet.  Audrey willingly went inside but as soon as she sat beside me, she began to tremble a bit.  This is the first time that she has done so.  It was very slight and she still went with the technician without notable fear.
 
She was given Vincristine IV in her right front leg. 
 
While I was in the waiting room, the big beautiful Ridgeback from last week came in again; her "Mom" was wearing a military uniform. 
 
My daughter was talking with one of her neighbors about his dog and it turns out that the dog is also a patient at the same Vet.  The dog does not have cancer, but some other malady.  His "day" is not Thursday so I probably will not meet up with him; the Vet tries to keep patients on a constant schedule.  The neighbors dog loves his walks and one of his favorite stops is the window in my daughter's apartment where her cats like to hangout!  The dog likes to look and bark a little and the cats are curious too...except BIG Sid...he runs and hides.  We laughingly say it is because he was terrorized by Audrey when she was a puppy.  In a future post I'll include a funny video of Sid and Audrey when Audrey was only a few months old.
 
It has been a good week for Audrey. Not much tiredness from the chemo; just runny eyes and the horrible smelling gas...phew.
 
We are having some concrete work done at our house.  We put Audrey's footprints in it along with the date...concrete had already set-up pretty well so I don't think it will be especially good impression.  When it dries, I'll post a pic.
 
Audrey is due for Adriamycin this coming Thursday and then we will start on an every other week schedule.
 
We have ANOTHER bad weather system coming in this evening - so unusual for us.  Thursday's appointment is the one where I need to have her there by 8:00 a.m.; I am sure hoping the weather clears so I can make the appointment without any issues.
 
Cost of Today's Visit................... $182.95

No comments:

Post a Comment