Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The ORIGINAL Audrey and Clarence


Audrey, my Grandmother, in the early 1950's - and Clarence, my unusual, unique and very ORIGINAL, Grandpa! 

One of the many Redbones that my Grandparents had....I don't know which one this is, but I do know from stories my Mom told me over the years that about this time, they had a Redbone named, "Pot Licker"....!!

So, my dear sweet Audrey, is named after my Grandmother....what a fabulous Grandmother she was....I wish everyone, including my kids, could have had a Grandmother like her....the very best!  She died in 2006.

Clarence, the Bloodhound, my cousin's dog, pictured in an earlier post, was named after our Grandpa.  Grandpa loved animals; all kinds.  He once had a pair of mules named "Thunder" and "Lightning".... and a pair of twin calves named "Dolly" and "Loretta"... the mama cow was named "Frosty". 

I never saw my Grandpa in anything but overalls....EVER...my mother said she once saw him in a pair of corduroy pants.  Oddly quirky in a lot of ways...but sweet and fun.  He loved to tease the kids and I can remember him letting me comb, and comb his hair, including putting in curlers  - my Aunts have the same memories of him.  He was a good man.  He said something when I was eleven that I've never forgotten and it made an impression on me even then....

One of my Aunt's almost died after giving birth.  I was in the hospital waiting room with my Grandpa...he said, "I thought when the kids were grown, all my worries would be over...."

That certainly rings very true...

No comments:

Post a Comment